Who abducted Elizabeth Smart, and why?


The kidnapping of ELIZABETH Smart was a widely-discussed event in the early 2000s.

While many people have moved on from the mystery of Elizabeth Smart’s kidnapping since she was rescued on March 12, 2003, the nearly 20 years since her abduction have not diminished their interest in the case.


Who was Elizabeth Smart’s kidnapper?

On the 5th of June, 2022, Elizabeth Smart was abducted from the room she shared with her younger sister.

Brian David Mitchell, who had done some housework for her family, abducted her.

Mitchell allegedly thought he was a prophet for the LDS church and married seven young women to prove it.

Elizabeth, then fourteen years old, was held captive in a tent in the San Diego County, Utah, woods by Barzee and his wife, Wanda.

Kidnapped woman rescued after 4 years of being 'held hostage in trailer'
Horror moment four Americans are kidnapped  after crossing into Mexico

Mitchell and his wife abused Elizabeth sexually, drugged her, and tied her to a tree before killing her.

How was Elizabeth Smart’s kidnapper found?

Elizabeth Smart was located in March of 2003 after Mitchell and Barzee took her out in public.

When questioned by police, Smart’s younger sister said the kidnapper’s voice sounded like a man she remembered doing work on their house, despite the fact that she had been awakened during the abduction but had remained silent.

On March 12, 2003, two couples publicly recognized Mitchell with two robed women after the family had blasted the media with information about their daughter and the alleged kidnapper.

The police were called by both sets of partners and were able to positively identify Elizabeth.

Elizabeth was returned to her family after the arrests of Mitchell and Barzee.

Brian David Mitchell, who had done some housework for the Smart family, was identified by her younger sister


Where is Elizabeth Smart’s kidnapper today?

It took a long time for Mitchell to be convicted and serve time after he and Barzee were charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault, and aggravated burglary in March of 2003.

Barzee was given a 15-year sentence in November 2009 for her participation.

Mitchell, however, did not receive his conviction until December 10, 2010.

Most of the holdups occurred because the court ruled that Mitchell lacked the mental capacity to stand trial.

Ultimately, he received two life sentences in federal prison for his role in Smart’s abduction.

Even though Barzee was released from prison on September 19, 2018, he is still serving time in a federal penitentiary.


Micheal Kurt

I earned a bachelor's degree in exercise and sport science from Oregon State University. He is an avid sports lover who enjoys tennis, football, and a variety of other activities. He is from Tucson, Arizona, and is a huge Cardinals supporter.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button